Yesterday I went to my first patchworking class. I use the term class loosely as there are only 4 of us and we all brought our own things in to work on, but there is a teacher there who knows far more than the rest of us. It isn´t even held in a quilting shop as there is only one (that has so far been found by intrepid explorers) in this part of Spain, and those of you who know what a proper quilting shop should look like would laugh at it, but it does have a few fabrics and cutters and mats and other essentials. At extortionate prices of course!!!
I bought a ready cut kit to make a tiny quilt, or more likely a cushion cover and this is the result :
Ta da - - may I present 3 HOURS work !
I am trying to ignore the mystery of how some of you go to a quilting class and come back with a nearly finished quilt...
I did actually "piece" (I´m learning the lingo too) together some of the next lot of blocks, but I got far too excited and didn´t check the back of them (they looked fine from the front) as I went along and when I´d finished and turned them over, I discovered the thread from the bobbin hadn´t been stitched in properly. At which stage I uttered a few choice words under my breath and put it all away - until today.
I have now set up the machine at home, managed to thread the needle and bobbin and after I have unpicked all those last pieces (I got a lot of practice at this too yesterday - and it is far easier than frogging stitching) I am going to attempt them again. Please wish me luck.
Last night I dreamt of properly finishing all the pieces that are in my Finishing Box, in all different ways: pin cushions, needlebooks, hangings, pillows ... scores of different designs etc.
I do like living in my own little dreamworld :)


12 comments:
I think a personal dream world is a fun place to be because we can make them come true! I love your quilt block Sheila, and I like your fish fabric too. I am cheering you on!
Your first block is great - I only came away from my first quilt class with one block so don't despair!
You can tame your sewing machine and just think, get lots of practice in and there'll be a trip to a proper quilt shop in June...
Looks great Sheila.
Well just look at you!
I think your first quilt block turned out great. I like your perfect points.
I think you can now call yourself a quilter!
When you find a quick way to finish all your finishes I have a big box here :)
Congratulations for overcoming your fears!!! I'm with you, the sew cachine and I only have diplomatic relations LOL.
Good luck with your sewing calsses. I will follow your progresses :)
Sheila,
Well done. this is a great start and soon you'll find all sorts of uses for your machine :>) I love your block and look forward to hearing more tales of quilting experiences.
Warm hugs, Angela
Welcome to quillting Sheila. You are off to an awesome start. You are such a beautiful cross stitcher and I'm sure you will be a beautiful quilter too.
I'm dying to see those mermaid bags!
Hi Sheila! Thanks so much for visiting my blog! I've just gotten into this whole blogging thing too so I'm learning how to move things around, put them where I want them also. Good luck with your quilting! I took a class once, finished one applique square and never did another bit. of course, I had to buy all the cool stuff, an olfa mat, olfa cutter etc and I still have those!
But that's all I have from my quilting experience. Love your blog, love your finishes! Have you taken ATS in to be framed yet? Can't wait to see that - I loved how you added your kitties to the bottom.
Peace!
Terri
It IS only a machine... I have not quite tamed it yet, but I am alos trying to convince myself.
I cannot even imagine producing what you did - sot it's a great start, go on !
Great work on the quilt block Sheila. You will have all your finishing done in no time. Keep up the good work.
Thank you for your visit to my blog and your good wishes to Ben :))
Chrissie
Your first block looks great. I'm looking forward to seeing it all come together. Just keep saying to yourself "I'm learning". You'll do fine.
Well done Sheila the first step is always the hardest, you have done well and the colours of your first block are fine. Look forward to seeing more of your quilting. Hazel (UK)
Post a Comment